SYRACUSE, N.Y. (NCC News)– When Jack Sheridan was in high school, he had similar dreams to most athletes. He wanted to play baseball in college. But during Jack’s sophomore year, his health and sense of normal changed forever.
Jack felt ill for several months, but wrote it off as the flu or a cold. Eventually, he went to the doctor to get blood work done.
“That went on for a few days just getting results,” Jack said. “One day my mom came to school to get me. We went straight to the hospital from school actually.”
Jack was diagnosed with Leukemia in May of 2014. For three and a half years, he fought the disease. First with weekly rounds of chemo and eventually “maintenance,” which is monthly chemo and a daily pill. In September of 2017, he was officially cancer free. After Jack’s treatment, his older sister Jordan decided she wanted to give back.
“Our family and myself was fortunate to have support from so many different communities,” Jack said. “So Jordan wanted to make sure every kid going through something like I did had support and these things available to them.”
That idea sparked the creation of On My Team16 in 2017. Through the organization, Jack and Jordan created The Climb fundraiser. This isn’t a typical fundraiser, though.
“We didn’t want to just do a run,” Jack said. “There’s so many 5Ks and 10Ks for charities.”
Instead, participants in The Climb run up the steps of the State Tower in Downtown Syracuse. All 330 of them. Standing at 20 stories, the tower is the tallest building in Central New York.
“It’s not easy at all but once you get to the first couple floors you see the little kids cheering you on,” Jack said. “It really makes things easier. You see what they went through and it pushes you up the steps. You’re definitely winded once you get to the top though.”
Jack is able to live out his dream of playing collegiate baseball. He plays for Le Moyne College in Syracuse.
The Climb is in its second year and will take place November 23rd, 2019.
Here is the link to register: https://www.wizathon.com/the-climb/
- After November 1st the registration fee is $40 with a fundraising requirement of $100.
- Your registration fee goes towards your $100 fundraising requirement
- Online registration closes on 11/20 and we will only have a few race day registrations available
Location: State Tower Building; 109 S Warren St, Syracuse, NY 13202
- Location: 201 E Washington St. Syracuse N.Y. 13202 (City of Syracuse Commons Building)
- Friday, November 22nd, 12:00-5:00 pm
- Saturday, November 23rd, 7:00-10:00 am
The Climb Schedule of Events
- 10 am Runners Heat
- Please arrive no later than 9:45 am on race day to ensure you hear all race rules
- If you have to pick up your bib on race day, please arrive no later than 9:15 am
- 11 am Opening Ceremonies
- We will have three guest speakers including Syracuse Mayor Walsh, Rob Long – former SU football player and cancer survivor and Josiah Gray – former Le Moyne baseball player and current pitcher in the LA Dodgers organization.
- This is when the runner’s awards will be presented
- Walkers Heat = after opening ceremonies
- Please arrive by 10:45 am at the latest so you can be present for our guest speakers as well as the race rules
- If you need to pick up your bib on race day, please arrive no later than 10:15 am
- Post-Race Party = 12:30 pm
- Location is The Saltine Warrior and with your bib, you will get a free drink!
If you have any questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org