Syracuse Fire Department Confirms Cause of House Explosion Syracuse Fire Department Confirms Cause of House Explosion

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (NCC NEWS) —  More than 60 fire personal were on the scene Tuesday afternoon when a house exploded on 205 Carbon St. in Syracuse, leaving 13 injured and 12 hospitalized.

Friday, fire officials and investigators have confirmed that the explosion stemmed from a free flowing gas leak from an open pipe in the basement where a dryer should have been attached.

Joseph Fenell, Syracuse chief fire investigator, said when the explosion happen it was a scene of total destruction.

“The ceilings had collapsed, the floors were caved in from the first floor into the basement. There was water leaking, because you know the pipes had broken. It’s just kind of surreal,” said Fenell.

According to fire officials, the owner of the home was renting the property out to one of the families that was injured in the explosion. The owner said he smelled gas early Tuesday morning around 9 a.m. when standing out in the driveway of the property.

National Grid and police were not informed of this smell that is thought to have later led to the explosion.

Fire investigators say that the owner was not aware of any appliance being hooked up to the gas pipe in the four years he has owned the home.

Fire officials say that the investigation is ongoing but there is no criminal charges being pursued at this time.

Michael Monds, the Syracuse fire chief, confirmed that three children, ages 8 months, 2 and 3, are still in critical condition. He said the rest of the victims are in good condition.

Mayor Ben Walsh said he wishes the family well as they continue to heal.

“We want to make sure that the families know that our thoughts and prayers go out to you all throughout the recovery process,” said Walsh.

The fire department stressed that if you are concerned about a gas leak in your home the most important thing to do is call 911 or National Grid.

Related Articles