CINCINNATI, OH- The last time the Western & Southern Open left its Cincinnati location was 1920. This year the tournament will journey to New York City.
Last year, the Western & Southern Open engaged over 200,000 visitors and brought 218 tennis stars from over 47 countries, according to the Open’s Twitter release. Warren County, where the Linder Family Tennis Center is located, said the tournament brought in $70 million in 2019.
In a press conference Wednesday, USTA’s Vice President Dr. Brian Hainline said that both Opens will follow strict guidelines to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
Those restrictions include:
- No fans
- Players are to travel alone
- Team members of the athletes are limited to two hotel rooms, each housing two people per room maximum.
- Players can rent private housing.
- All staff and athletes will be frequently tested for COVID-19.
“In the midst of COVID-19 tennis is an ideal sport for physically distancing, being able to play the sport safely, to socialize safely,” said Hainline.
The Western & Southern Open said that they would offer full refunds to those who had already purchased tickets in Cincinnati. The Open is expected to return to Cincinnati in 2021.