By Isis Young SYRACUSE, N.Y. (NCC NEWS) – The first day of summer is June 21, less than two weeks away. With consistent good weather coming to Central New York, here are a few tips for how to remain healthy and safe while enjoying sports related activities.
Veronica Tearney, Syracuse University Nutritional Coach, has several suggestions for the best ways to stay hydrated during a hot day before, during and after working out.
- Be proactive when hydrating. “When you first roll out of bed in the morning, drink a glass of water. That will start the process and get everything going,” said Tearney.
- Drink water every 15 minutes if you plan to work out longer than 1 hour.
- During a workout, you may also incorporate a sports drink (Gatorade, PowerAde) to replace the electrolytes you lose while working out.
- After a workout, water intake is good, but also drinking protein shakes can be great to replace nutrients.
In addition to drinking, it is important to eat the right foods surrounding a workout.
- Before a workout, Tearney suggests fruits, cereals and light breads.
- During a workout, she suggestions bringing some type of breakfast or granola bar with you to sustain your energy level.
- After a workout, Tearney suggestion consuming vegetables or fruits with water such as cucumbers, watermelon, etc.
Nutrition is very important during hot summer days, but so is your safety when going to work out. Dewitt Police Officer Alex Fratini has several suggestions on how to keep safe during the summer when working out, specifically running.
- “Whenever you are going on a run, let someone know. Tell them how long you plan to be and where you are going, just in case something happens,” said Fratini.
- If you are running in the early morning or late night, try to be as visible as possible. Wear reflective gear (headbands, vest, shoe strings, handheld flashlights, etc.)
- Try to make eye contact with drivers while you are running so they are aware of you.
- Do not run the same path every day. “Running the same path may allow someone to make you a victim since they know where you will be certain times of the day,” said Fratini.
- Always have a plan of action. Know your surroundings and know the area.